Saturday, December 8, 2012

Kate & Wills

I was sick to my stomach last night watching the news about the death of one of the two nurses caught up in the prank call involving Kate, the Duchess of Cambridge. I did not think it was funny when the call made news earlier this week, and now it has cost someone their life. Was it worth it?

These two absolute flipping idiots on the radio in Australia had no problems with invading her privacy to get a laugh. And then to top it off, the station's owner thought nothing of broadcasting it on the Internet for the whole world to hear. Now in the fall out, the station owner has released a statement that they are providing counseling to the two DJ's, and points out that "they are humans, not machines. They are hurting too". Well, you know what, I have zero empathy for them, they brought this on themselves. They are now living the exact hell that they put her through. Do you think that they will make that connection? Probably not.

I read a blog on The Huffington Post earlier this week, when the news was first announced that Kate was expecting. The writer was feeling sad for Kate that this special time was no longer her secret, and that every woman should be able to have that. She had no way of foretelling what was going to come next. I'm scared to think that the stress of this entire situation would lead her to have a miscarriage. It's bad enough that her nurses' death will be forever associated with her pregnancy. It should have been a completely joyous time for her and the whole family. I'm not a mother myself, but I can relate to my own family history, and that excitement & expectation of a new baby.

Jacintha Saldana was a nurse; not royalty, not a celebrity, and I would have to assume that she probably never had to deal with the media spotlight. But what makes anyone think that it is OK to thrust themselves in to the personal lives of celebrities anyways? Jacintha didn't deserve this, but neither did Kate. This whole situation says how little respect we seem to have for each other as human beings anymore; we should be getting more civilized, not less.












No comments:

Post a Comment