Sunday, October 28, 2012

Catching Up

Boo, Sunday October 21st

Woody, Saturday October 27th

Tom Cat, Saturday October 27th
I thought it was funny catching Boo sitting in the chair on the back deck like this. She's out there sitting in it right now as well, thanks to a mild afternoon.

Woody loves the quilt that Denise made for me, and he always cuddles up against the stuffed polar bear too. And surprise, surprise, he's sitting in the same spot today!


As usual I am playing catch-up on the weekend and trying to work in a fun project for work. I have to go get my mail at the post office and get my ballot, this is an election I obviously can't miss, and feel strongly about.

This is a good clip from The Daily Show from this past week. I had read a really good blog on Huffington Post towards the end of the week, but could not find it again today to link it here. It was about the reality of rape and statistics from around the globe, and the numbers were very sickening.
 There were references to several stories that I was already familiar with. One of them had to do with the on-going civil war in The Congo in Africa, and a doctor who treats women who have been so brutally gang raped by soldiers that they require surgery. I was reading that article within a day or two of reading about how someone had tried to assassinate him in an attack that left his bodyguard dead.
Sometimes, I just can't take reading about this subject, because it makes me so sick at heart. Last month there was a girl about the age of my niece that was gang raped in an apartment 6-7 blocks from where I live. I sat and cried thinking about her, and hoping that something like that never happens to Jennifer. I was talking to my good friend Gerry yesterday, and I told her that sadly, I don't think that we will ever get to a place and time where women will be able to truly live free, even here in the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment