Saturday, February 2, 2013

Pauline

Pauline - January 2011

Pauline - January 2011
I had a very sad start to my week; on Monday morning I took Pauline to the vet after she was sick all weekend with a stomach bug. It left her in such bad shape that between myself and the vet, we knew that putting her to sleep was the most humane thing to do at this stage of her life.





She was my brother Mark's cat, and I adopted her soon after he passed away, right before Christmas of 2010. I was grateful to have two years with her, and she learned to settle in with my existing feline family, with a few kinks in the road here and there.

In the last few years I have really come to understand the joy I get from my feline family. It really does make me feel good, to make them feel good. I can't tell you how many nights I was lulled to sleep with Pauline purring away on the pillow next to me. I've told my friend Geri many times that I would probably be crazy if I didn't have my cats to keep me company. I have lived alone for so long, that I would be way nuttier than I am if I didn't have them to love.

She led a pretty good life for most of her time, but old age was taking it's toll the last year. She still had the will to live, but her body was not able to sustain that.

Here she is from better days.


No comments:

Post a Comment