Tuesday, March 26, 2013

The Supreme Court & Gay Marriage


I saw this online tonight, it's a picture of someone's placard that was in Washington D.C. this week outside the Supreme Court. I love it. Obviously they have a great sense of humor, and in a very simple way they are getting the point across.
I'm not gay, I don't spend my time thinking about how other people have sex, and I have no earthly reason to say that somebody that is gay doesn't have the right to be legally joined as a couple with another person of the same sex. 
When we have so many other real problems in this world to think about, I really don't understand why so many people are obsessed with sticking it to a whole group of people simply because they  are 'different'. I don't see it as any different than denying blacks the right to use the same water fountain or sit at the front of the bus, or vote  They are both based on prejudice.
The argument that gay couples are crumbling the foundation of marriage in this country is hilarious - heterosexual couples are doing just fine at that without any help from gays. Straight couples divorce at a high rate, and too many abuse their spouse and / or children, so spare me any Ozzie & Harriet version of 'traditional' marriage.
I don't have any specific statistics to refer to, but my guess is that most rape's in this country and the world for that matter, are committed by 'straight' men. So the argument about our society going in the toilet because of gays coming out of the closet just doesn't fly with me. It's time for us as a society to deal with reality instead of an imagined reality, and then hopefully we would actually be as enlightened as we should be for how long we have been on this planet.


No comments:

Post a Comment