Saturday, June 8, 2013

This 'n That

Tom Cat and the Snapdragons

Today was my first day of overtime this summer, and after I got home from work I potted these snapdragons.

So the story with these, is that they are, if I remember correctly, "dwarf" Snapdragons. At the end of the summer in 2011 they looked like goners, so I just took them out of the pot and threw them on top of the compost pile. The following spring they bloomed, but were still pretty small, and I just left them where they were. Then this spring, much to my surprise, they started to look pretty healthy, and much bigger.

They started to bloom this week. I hope that I didn't do too much damage in the process, but I extracted them from the compost pile and put them in this large pot. And they are definitely not dwarf now, they are at least two feet tall. I love these vivid colors. I hope they survive and bloom for awhile (I'm keeping my fingers crossed).

First thing yesterday morning at work, we found out that our teammate Katie was burned out of her home Thursday night in Ferndale. Thankfully no one was hurt, but she and her two daughters and boyfriend are now in a hotel for who knows how long. We don't know how much of her belongings she was able to salvage. Something like that would be devastating to me. Thank goodness for the Red Cross stepping in to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment