Saturday, July 19, 2014

Columnist Carolyn Hax - July 19 2014

I started reading the advice columnist Carolyn Hax again in the last year or so, I feel like her advice and writing has matured a lot in the years since she first came on the scene. The highlighted passages from today's The Seattle Times really meant a lot to me.

It fits in with a personal mission statement that I put down in writing in the last year. I don't expect that it will come into play in the sense of anyone pursuing me, but I want to change how I think of myself and what I deserve; and will constantly strive for when given the opportunity.

Originally published Saturday, July 19, 2014 at 6:15 AM

Boyfriend more interested in thrill of pursuit
Skip this game if you want true companionship, advice columnist Carolyn Hax says.

By CAROLYN HAX
Syndicated columnist

DEAR CAROLYN: A guy I dated for about three months ended things a few weeks ago because, in his words, I didn’t let him “pursue” me enough (read: I got too invested too quickly, and started contacting him more than he was comfortable with). He said that he cared about me very much, but that he wanted to feel that the person he was with was a bit “hard to get.” I was sad, but understanding.

After about two weeks of no contact from me, he started calling, texting and emailing again and eventually wanted to meet up for drinks.

This seems so on-the-nose (I didn’t call, so he suddenly felt ravenous for me again) that it’s almost insulting. Then again, I know it’s commonly believed that guys (/people) love to pursue, so maybe I did do the wrong thing by denying him that opportunity before. What do you think? Give him a second chance, or let go on general principle?

— Pursuit for the Sake of Pursuit?

DEAR PURSUIT FOR THE SAKE OF PURSUIT?: This whole love-to-pursue thing — what do people do with it once they’ve committed to each other? Do they demand/promote an aura of mystery in their shared home? All body noises and hygiene rituals get rushed discreetly into locked, soundproof bathrooms? All unsightly ailments get immediately quarantined and tended to by hired nurses? All calls and texts go unreturned for a time.

Yes, pursuit is a rush, a two-person amusement park. But it’s better at teaching you about yourself than it is at bringing you closer to others, because it’s not about the other person; it’s about what the other person does for you.

If it’s life companionship you ultimately want, and you’d rather stick yourself with pins than play the izzy-gonna-call game, then pass. True partnership is about finding someone you get along with so well, and find so beautiful inside, that the outside is just a pleasing window to the good stuff.

It’s about the “what” of wanting to be with someone to the extent that the “how” is beside the point. You will call or text or stop by, s/he will call or text or stop by, whatever, it’s a foregone conclusion that you had a really nice time last night and one of you will initiate some sort of communication soon.

If you’re up for a game, then, fine, give him his second chance; he might grow up to be a lovely person someday. But go into it knowing this: He isn’t calling because he realized his error in breaking up with such a great person. He’s calling because he gave you strict instructions on how to hold his attention, and this is your reward for following them to the letter. Instructions that include wanting him but pretending you don’t. Barf.

Email Carolyn at tellme@washpost.com and follow her on Facebook atwww.facebook.com/carolyn.hax. Find her columns daily at www.seattletimes.com/living

No comments:

Post a Comment