Saturday, March 3, 2012

RIP Davy Jones

When I heard that Davy Jones died this week, apart from my sadness that his life was over, it was that realization that listening to their music now will be bittersweet. It sounds so corny to say it, but it is like the end of a part of your own life.
It also made me think about my brother Mark, who also was a Monkees fan. And if he was still alive, I would have gotten a random email from him announcing the news.
That's how it was for the last three years of his life. He wasn't talking to me, but he would send emails out of the blue about something that he knew I would find interesting, because he still knew what mattered to me. And I know he would have been sad at this news too.

It was like how if Mom was still alive when 'Prairie Home Companion' had gone off the air she would have been devastated. But then she would have also been thrilled when it came back. I'm assuming it's natural for us to still think of how someone that's gone would have reacted to a current event. I'm guessing that is why I feel even sadder than I should this week; that I'm thinking about more than just Davy Jones passing.

No comments:

Post a Comment