Saturday, March 31, 2012

Trayvon Martin

I first read about the shooting of Trayvon Martin on Huffington Post about a week and a half before it really hit the national news, and I've thought about it a lot. Of course I can't make any statements of fact about the case, only two people really know what happened that night, Trayvon, and George Zimmerman. But my gut feeling from the beginning was that the police department seemed to be taking Zimmerman's account of events at face value, and not conducting a thorough investigation.

One of the questions I have to ask is if George Zimmerman didn't own a gun, or didn't intend to use the one he owned, would he have followed Trayvon if he felt threatened? I don't think so. I don't put myself in situations where I think I could come to harm, because I know I would have no way of defending myself.

I'll never forget a statement I heard before, that once that bullet leaves the chamber, there's nothing to stop it. I think too many of the people that own guns that should think long and hard about that, probably don't think about it at all.

I hope the truth does come out in this case, because it makes no sense to me that a teenage boy carrying Skittles, a can of iced-tea and talking on his cell phone should lose his life like this.

No comments:

Post a Comment