Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Goodbye Robin

Robin Williams 1951 - 2014
I was waiting for the bus after going shopping after work yesterday, and went to check out The Bellingham Herald briefly on my phone when I was kicked in the gut with the news that Robin Williams took his own life. I was so shocked and thought, fuckin' A, I can't believe it.

It's sad for me to think that someone who brought so much happiness and laughter to the world and the people that he personally touched, was so profoundly unhappy and isolated to the point that he wanted it all to end. I think mostly of his children losing their father, but also the incredible pain he must have felt. I don't think of the money and fame as things that made his life rich, it was his heart and soul that made his life rich. I wish that continuing to give and receive the love of family and friends would have been a stronger force to keep him going.

In the past week I had been thinking about two of my favorite bits from his early comedy albums "Reality What a Concept" and "Throbbing Python of Love"; he was unlike anyone that came before him, and there could never possibly be anyone like him again. "World According to Garp", "The Fisher King", and "Insomnia" are favorites that will have a built in sadness for me to watch now.





No comments:

Post a Comment