Sunday, January 29, 2012

Just Thinkin'

I was on CNN.com on the web on my phone this morning when I saw the headline to an article "What People Talk About Before They Die" and was intrigued. It was written by Kerry Egan a Hospice Chaplain in Massachusetts. It was meaningful to me, and wanted to share it. Her observations were that most people facing death were not talking as much about the afterlife and a higher being, as they were about their families, and that the love of family is the real face of God.
I don't know what happens when we die, and I'm okay with not having all the answers. I think I'm more of a religious philosopher than anything. I am spiritual, just not in a way that is easy to define. My connection is more to the natural world. I constantly think about the impact of my actions on the world around me.
I was raised in the Unitarian Church, and when I was a teenager I remember having a few conversations with Mom and Dad about religion. Dad defined himself as Christian with a small "c" - that it was more about how we live and what we do, than what we say we believe. Mom said once that she felt that God was the highest level of ourselves, and that positive energy within all of us collectively was God.
I always say I'm the product of my parents, and how both of them approached faith shaped who I am today.

No comments:

Post a Comment