Saturday, January 11, 2014

World's Slowest Going Needlepoint Project


So this is where it all began. I made this 'drawing' over 30 years ago. It was done with colored pens on paper that I had drawn my own grid lines on with pencil. It was my own handmade wrapping paper for a present I gave my mom. Thankfully she let me keep it after she opened the present.....

So fast forward to 4 winters ago, and I was feeling a deep need to do something creative and not wanting to just sit there watching TV during the dark winter nights after work. So I started this needlepoint using the drawing as my inspiration.






My intention was to create a throw pillow cover, and work on it while watching TV. I did not plot it out as much as I should have before I got started, but for being essentially a free hand design, it has worked out pretty well. The shape of the original drawing being rectangular, and the shape for the pillow being square has of course led to some adapting.





I worked on it pretty faithfully up through the summer of 2010, and then an unexpected thing happened. I got a kitten, and then it got put away for a while. A long while.

But can you blame me for falling in love with this little guy? This picture was pretty much me every day with my little boy.


Munchkin as a kitten


So the honeymoon with Munchkin lasted a long time, and the needlepoint got put aside. It had also become apparent to me that even when I wasn't going to be cuddling him all the time, he was so playful that I wouldn't have a chance to actually do anything without him constantly swiping at the yarn.


Well he's 3 1/2 years old now, and I picked it up again in December during our two week holiday break from work. So far Munchkin has been good and not gotten in the way of my working on it. I'll post an update, and hopefully a finished project by the end of the year.


1 comment:

  1. Maria - that is going to be beautiful - A talent I didn't know you had! T.

    ReplyDelete