Sunday, May 27, 2012

Awake Finale


This past Thursday was also the finale of the NBC TV series "Awake". It was a two part finale, and in the first part, everything looked like it was going to end badly for the lead character, Detective Michael Britten played by Jason Isaacs.

When they made the show, they didn't know that it was not going to go past the first season. I like happy endings, and so given the fact that it was the ending completely, I was glad for how it turned out. It had the potential to go on, but it also had a complete story arc, so that it can stand on it's own, almost like a mini-series.

The show was a mind-bending concept, and I think every single episode was very well done. Because it was on late on Thursday nights, I ended up watching all of the episodes online on NBC.com. I don't know how long they will still make them available there, but I'm assuming it will end up being available on DVD.

The story-line was that the main character was in a car accident with his family, and he lived in two realities after that; one where his wife died in the accident, and the other where his son died. He would go to sleep, and wake up in the alternate reality, with a different partner on the police force for each 'reality'.

I won't give away the ending, but I was thinking that whether it is all in his head or not, at least he came to a 'happy' place where he could finally be at peace. It all reminded me of the end of the movie "Brazil" directed by Terry Gilliam. Open to interpretation depending on your point of view.

No comments:

Post a Comment