Sunday, July 21, 2013

National Ice Cream Day

I got some half and half at Haggen this morning to make a batch of Vanilla Bean Ice Cream, and then when I was online later I saw that today was National Ice Cream Day. And Baskin & Robbins released a Ice Cream Flavor/Personality study to honor it, what timing....
 And it's surprising that I never knew this, but July is National Ice Cream month, and the third Sunday is the National Ice Cream Day. My interest in making homemade ice cream starts with my Uncle Ralph. He passed away when I was still in elementary school, but as it was, I still got to enjoy many summers of his simple, but fantastic vanilla ice cream.

He had the old style wood, hand crank ice cream maker where you used rock salt and ice. Of course, as kids, we didn't really want to help out on the labor part, just eating the end result. And he only ever made vanilla, and sometimes added cherries, but it didn't matter it was delicious! So a few summers back when I got my Cuisinart electric model, I started a quest to replicate his recipe. After a few batches, I think I came as close as I'm going to. Since then I've made, banana, blueberry, peach, lemon cheesecake, chocolate, coffee and coffee-chocolate chip. I want to try some mint chocolate chip next. As far, as the study, I'm not sure where I fall in there - Coffee Chocolate Chip is my favorite ♥


No comments:

Post a Comment